Lost Your Green Card Abroad and Need to Re-Enter the United States?

Our immigration attorneys in Los Angeles frequent various liaison meetings between the Department of Homeland Security and the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). The following questions and answers are excerpts from a meeting with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

If an LPR is studying abroad and his or her Green Card is stolen or lost, will U.S. Customs admit that individual into the U.S. with an I-90 receipt notice, so that they may complete the I-90 process (biometrics etc.) in the U.S.?

Current CBP policy in the case described above is to process the Lawful Permanent Resident alien for a Form I-90, if he or she is otherwise admissible. A CBP officer will collect the required fees, give the LPR a copy of the Form I-90 with a copy of the fee receipt and advise the alien that USCIS will send an appointment notice to report to a local Application Support Center (ASC) to obtain the necessary photographs and fingerprint to complete the filing of the application and generate the replacement Form I-551.

Immigration Attorney Green Card

If an LPR is traveling abroad and loses his or her Green Card but has a pending N-400, Naturalization Application, would CBP at LAX still require that individual to file a new I-90 to be admitted?

Current CBP policy provides no exceptions for aliens regardless of any circumstance. Any LPR alien arriving without a valid Green Card will be required to file an I-90 with CBP.

Need additional information and advice?

FREE immigration consultation and advice within 24 hours guaranteed. JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office is located at 2975 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 352 Los Angeles, California 90010 Office hours are Monday to Saturday from 9:00AM to 9:00PM (Appointment Preferred)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: